Thursday, August 23, 2012

Mom's new homework trick

This is part of my mom's new 'homework enticement' program. And just in case anyone is wondering, mom is doing a lot of 'helping' with this blog, and my little brother's new blog too.  His blog is about plants.

Mom wanted to encourage me to do my 'sight words' so she made me a deal that I would look at them and sound them out, and she would type them here, and then we would write this post to include each word.

Here are the words we have to use:
one  her two they does who some  of no eat into many live out want put show under three make today way school late away why  

Since I posted about a cool bed yesterday, and my site is about beds, books and toys, today I will show you some of the books that I want.

Since I have just started first grade, and this post is about getting me to do my sight words, the book 100 Words Kids Need to Read by 1st Grade: Sight Word Practice to Build Strong Readers seems to be perfect for this post.

I think the list my teacher sent home from school  is more than 100 words though.  I suppose this is one book we should have read over the summer, but mom just found it today.  This book is only $3.95 from Amazon, and mom says it's not available on Kindle, so we can't read it on her computer.  We'll have to wait for it to arrive in the mail. She said it will be two or three days before we get it.  She did click Amazon's link for suggesting that the publisher make the book available on Kindle.  I sure hope they listen.


This is a book that mom wants to have for my little brother and me.  We all garden in our family, and my brother, Daniel, wanted his blog to be about plants, so Mom thought that Kids in the Garden: Growing Plants for Food and Fun would be a great book for us to have. Amazon does have a lot of books in their gardening category, and Mom like this one best because we do garden for food and she think it's important that we learn to grow food so we can eat healthy. This book was also not available on Kindle, but Amazon did offer free shipping on it too, so that made Mom happy.


Ok, so yes, I was a fussy eater.  At times I still am and it drives my parents crazy.  They made up a card game in 2011 to get me to eat and it worked. Mom thought this book,Janice VanCleave's Food and Nutrition for Every Kid: Easy Activities That Make Learning Science Fun (Science for Every Kid Series) would make a good addition to the game to keep us learning about healthy eating habits.  This one we could get right away on Kindle, so Mom grabbed it. Who doesn't love the instant gratification that Kindle books offer?  Mom says that tonight at bed time, we will go into her room and pile into her bed to read it, if it's not too late.


 Of  the many, many, many, books available on Amazon, Mom knew this one, Runaway Alien: A Science Fiction Adventure For Kids (Volume 1) would be perfect for Dad to read to us, since he's a big science fiction fan, and Mom, well, not so much a fan.  She said it's only fair that gets to read with us too, and  should be something he likes to read. She said that he would really enjoy reading this to us and it was perfect for the night's that he's off work and it's his turn to put us to bed.  I think the reason why she got this one is that she is secretly hoping the subject will bore us to sleep easily. I guess that's one way to get us to go to sleep.



Mom has already bought this book,How the Grinch Stole Christmas!  twice, but no matter how many times we were told 'no' we still ripped out the pages.  We were little, we didn't know better.  She did try to keep it put away, way up high, out of our reach, but we were both climbers, so we always found it.  We always get books under the tree at Christmas this year, and I'm sure this one will be one of them. Maybe this year Mom will let us dress up in costumes and live out the fantasy...

There... I used all of my sight words... well, Mom did most of the work, but now she's making me sit her while she reads the whole post back to me and makes me pick out the 'sight words.'

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this. Thank you so much for those great suggestions! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment Lehua. We will keep blogging. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment came to us via email, but for some reason, it didn't publish, so we're pasting it here

    Hey there! I've been reading your website for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Huffman Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the fantastic work!

    My web-site - summer Grilling

    ReplyDelete